30 October 2011

Carrot Cake Waffles (Iron Chef Challenge)


This week's VeganMoFo* Iron Chef challenge was 'carrots and oatmeal.'  I am sure lots of people are going to be doing some kind of carrot cake or muffin thing and I thought I would just jump right on that bandwagon.  Except I am totally wafflising it.  I'm also including a baby food version.
If you have seen my Sunflower Seed and Oat Waffles,** you know I am no stranger to oatmeal in waffles.  The trick to adding oatmeal to stuff like waffles is to either cook the oatmeal ahead of time or grind it up (dry, obviously) in a blade coffee grinder.  I usually do the latter.

Enough talk, let's make some waffles! 
Mix together 2 cups of flour, 1/2 cup ground oatmeal, 1 tbsp cornstarch, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp ground ginger, and some freshly ground nutmeg (about 1/4 tsp).  Then add 2 cups nondairy milk, 1 cup of shredded carrots (about 1 carrot, but feel free to add more!), 1 tsp vanilla extract, 3-4 tbsp oil (I use sunflower oil, but melted coconut oil or any neutral oil will do), and 3-4 tbsp sugar or maple syrup.  If your batter seems a little too runny, add another tbsp or so of flour.  Mix everything together well and make some waffles!  This is also a great pancake batter recipe.

Also, you can totally make a baby food version of this recipe!
  Grind up some oatmeal in a blade coffee grinder until it is pretty much oat flour, which is pretty much instant baby oatmeal.  Mix in a pinch of ground ginger and a dash of nutmeg.  Shred some carrot and boil it in a little water (or coconut milk, if you're feeling feisty!) until it softens.  Add the oatmeal & spice mix, stirring well.  Wait for it to cool and serve it to your little one.  If you make it on the thick side, you can do the whole loaded-spoon trick and let your little dude try to feed himself. 


*  I did mention all my October blogging is because it's VeganMoFo, right?  VeganMoFo (Vegan Month of Food) is like NaNoWriMo, except everybody blogs about vegan food.  Veganmofo.com has all the basic information (like the VeganMoFo FAQ and blogroll), does a daily round-up of their favourite posts, and sets the weekly Iron Chef challenges.  Randomofo.com will take you to a different MoFo blog every time you reload the page or hit the 'next random blog' link.

**  Have you seen my recipe for Cornbread Waffles and Salsa?  It's delicious! 











4 comments:

  1. Those are great looking waffles, nice work with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic combination!

    I've nominated your blog for a Liebster, check out my post for further info.

    -K

    http://rabbitfoodblog.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, rabbit food blog! :D

    ReplyDelete