27 October 2011

Garlic Bread & a wee Blog 'Award'


Yesterday, I had a strange craving for garlic bread.  I haven't had garlic bread in at least 8 years and I've never made it myself, but I am never one to ignore a good food craving, so I took a stab at it.  I baked one unpeeled clove of garlic (on a wee enamelware plate) in the oven at 400°F/200°C for about 5-8 minutes (until tender/mushy).  While the garlic was baking, I spread some non-hydrogenated (I can taste hydrogenated oils a mile away, blech) margarine on some bread, but you could use olive oil or coconut oil,* too.  Once the garlic was done, I peeled it and spread it across the bread, sprinkled the tiniest amount of salt on it, and baked the bread for a few minutes so it was warm and just starting to get toasty and all the margarine had melted and all the flavours were mingling delightfully.  Then I took it out of the oven and ate it all up!  (Actually, I shared one slice with my kids.)

*  Coconut oil makes an excellent substitution for unsalted butter, if you ask me.


Aaand...Johanna GGG from gggiraffe nominated me for a Liebster Blog Award, the idea of which is to bring attention to blogs with fewer than 200 followers.  So with that in mind, I hereby nominate the following blogs:
There were one or two other blogs I wanted to nominate, but they've already received nominations.  Congratulations all around!  It's almost enough to melt my cold, crabby heart.


4 comments:

  1. haven't had garlic bread in ages and now you have filled me with a craving - esp if the bread looks like rabbits - it does in the last photo!!!

    Will have to have a look at the blogs you have nominated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the awesome nomination! I'm truly honored!!! I haven't had much surfing time with MOFO and all, but I will pass the honor on soon! Thanks. again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can also saute diced garlic in olive oil and then brush that on the bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Johanna GGG, I thought they looked like little shoes or slippers, but you're right -- the do look like bunnies!

    Josi, what a good idea (and a time saver, too).

    VIT, Congratulations again. :D (BTW, I know I commented on a giveaway post, but if my comment number comes up, choose someone else. I'm in the UK anyway.) ;p

    ReplyDelete