31 October 2011

My Favourite Miso

Simmering.  Pre-miso.

As October and VeganMoFo come to a close, I find myself a bit under the weather.  Not lying-in-bed-moaning under the weather, but stuffy-head-and-sore-throat under the weather.  The kind you treat with hot toddies and warm, comforting soup.  Miso soup, to be exact.  Let's make some.

The first thing I do is simmer some veg in a pot of water.  Any of the following is pretty good:
  • broccoli
  • carrot
  • onion
  • cabbage or kale
  • mange tout (pea pods)
  • baby corn
  • leek
  • mushrooms (any sort will do), black fungus, or something along those lines

This is the miso paste I use.  It's frosty because I store it in the freezer.
Then to bulk up the soup a little, I add one or more of the following:
  • tofu
  • bean curd sheets, strips, or twists
  • (fresh or frozen) peas, broad beans, or edamame beans 
  • other kinds of beans (garbanzos work especially well)
  • rice, buckwheat (soba), or some other kind of noodles
  • quinoa or rice
To add different flavours to the soup, I add one or more of the following:
  • wakame or kelp/kombu or another kind of seaweed
  • toasted sesame oil
  • a pinch of cayenne, dried chili pepper, or sliced fresh hot pepper
  • lemongrass
  • ginger or galangal
  • kaffir lime leaves
  • tamarind, orange juice, or cider vinegar (if I fancy sour soup)

This is how I serve it to the kids.
Let everything simmer until the veggies are al dente.  Then turn off the pot and add some miso paste.  I like to scoop smear it along the inside of the pot -- this is the easiest way for me to get it to dissolve without clumping.  At this point, I taste the broth.  I add a wee glug of soy sauce (use tamari if you are GF) and maybe a little more miso paste.

Then I dish everything up and generously sprinkle the soup with chopped green onions before serving.  My kids aren't very good with broth, so I give them a generous serving of everything else.




Bye-bye, VeganMoFo 2011, it's been real, yo.

1 comment:

  1. oh dear - hope you didn't catch it from us - that cold sounds like my household - wish someone would make me miso soup - it is so comforting - love all the colour in yours

    ReplyDelete