14 October 2011

Popcorn.


I was going to write a fun post about this GF adzuki bean fudge (I'm not totally certain what's actually in regular fudge, mind you) recipe I found, but my attempt at making it hasn't solidified yet, so I can't comment on how it turned out until tomorrow.

Instead, I'll write about popcorn.  I just typoed it poopcorn.  Whoops!  I love popcorn.  So much so, I bought a 50-pound bag of it.  For real!  It is way cheaper that way and I make popcorn every day, so it's not like I won't go through it all.  Even my toddler loves popcorn. 

I usually just have it with salt, but I also really like it with salt and paprika, salt and paprika and chili powder, or tabasco sauce.  I also think it tastes a lot better if it's popped in coconut or olive oil than when I pop it in sunflower oil.  How do YOU like your popcorn?  I love crazy and unusual popcorn topping ideas.

Our budding photographer, Beetroot, took this photo.

5 comments:

  1. Mmmm. Paprika sounds really good! I've never had it on popcorn before.

    Everyone in my house loves popcorn. I like it with a little earth balance & sriracha and a ton of nooch, my husband likes it with a LOT of earth balance and garlic salt, and my toddler likes it any way he can get it but always begs for more nooch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very traditional, and eat it with lots of salt and butter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you make your popcorn?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I put 1-2tbsp of oil in the bottom of a pan, add 2-4 tbsp of popcorn kernels, put on the lid, and cook on medium/high, shaking it back and forth by the handle pretty much constantly until it sounds like most of the popcorn has been popped.
    The amount of popcorn vs your pot size is something you need to experiment with, but I can do ~4 tbsps of popcorn in my 3L pot.

    Nowadays, I like a little chili pepper (I'm using chipotle at the moment) dusted over my popcorn or something like cajun seasoning or adobo seasoning. And citric acid -- just a pinch really adds to the flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! My popcorn tastes bland. I've tried adding a pinch of salt but still bland. My family doesn't like anything spicy - esp popcorn - but they don't like the way I make it either. Which was 1/4 cup kernels in a paper bag in the microwave. I will try your stovetop method next. :)

      Delete